This Help Article will show you how to make a financial adjustment on your current invoice to offset a discrepancy that may have been multiple invoices ago. Check out the quick summary or the more in-depth step-by-step guide below!
Quick Summary of Step-by-Step Guide:
- Click 'Clients & Projects' tab→ 'Proposals & Projects' sub-tab
- Select the applicable project invoice
- Click the 'Management' button
- Click the 'Adjustments' button
- Fill in required information, click 'Save' when finished
NOTE: This option is ONLY to be used in the rare circumstances when an invoice needs to be modified to correct a financial issue that can't be made with a labor or expense adjustment. This is intended to be a "safety net" and not intended for regular use - use with caution! For example, you might use this feature if you noticed an error on an older invoice (several invoices back) and need to correct an inaccurate billing rate. Rather than rescinding multiple invoices and lose specific invoice adjustment data, you can make a credit or debit to the current invoice using this financial adjustment feature to correct the problem.
In-Depth Step-by-Step Guide:
- To make a financial adjustment (again - use this with caution!), go to the specific project and click on the 'Management' button.
- Once you've clicked the 'Management' button, you will see four options to choose from at the top right of the screen. Click the 'Adjustments' button.
NOTE: This is only to be used for a financial adjustment that relates to a previous invoice. If you need to make an adjustment to a labor or expense item on a current invoice, see our Help Article: Labor & Expense Adjustments.
- By clicking the 'Adjustments' button, a new window will appear for you to enter in the details of the financial adjustment. Once you've completed filling in the required information, click 'Save'. The financial adjustment will appear when you view the draft invoice in the 'Summary' section.
NOTE: Again, we can't stress this enough, this financial adjustment feature is ONLY to be used in the rare circumstances when an invoice needs to be modified to correct a financial issue that can't be made with a labor or expense adjustment. This is intended to be a "safety net" and not intended for regular use - use with caution!
- Another place where you can make the same financial adjustment, is in the 'Summary' section of the draft invoice. To do so, instead of clicking the 'Adjustments' button like we did in Step 2, click the 'Draft Invoice' button.
- Once you've clicked the 'Draft Invoice' button, scroll down to the 'Summary' section. Click on the pen and paper icon next to where it says 'Financial Adjustments'. This will allow you to make the same type of financial adjustment as we did in the previous steps.
- You have now learned how to make financial adjustments to a previous invoice!
- If you are needing to make an adjustment on a labor or expense item on a current invoice, see our Help Article: Labor & Expense Adjustments.
- If you have any other questions about invoices, check out our other Help Articles outlined in the Invoices 101 section.