Quick Summary of Step-by-Step Guide:
Several options exist to enter expenses into SQUAVA. This article outlines the options that are intended for employees to enter reimbursable expenses for themselves (for mileage, etc.) or add charges to a project that are not reimbursable to them (copies, etc.). If you need to enter expenses related to a sub-consultants or other company-related items like rent, software, or office supplies, check out our Help Articles for entering bills - Accounts Payable or adding bank or credit card transactions - Bank and Credit Card Registers.
Option # 1:
- Click the 'Time & Expense' tab→ 'Expense' sub-tab
- Select the applicable project for applicable date
- Log expenses
- Save expenses
- Submit expenses
Option # 2:
- Click the 'Time & Expenses' tab→ 'Timesheets' sub-tab
- Click the '$' icon when logging time for the applicable project and date
- Fill in the required expense information
- Save when finished
In-Depth Step-By-Step Guide:
Option # 1:
- Begin entering your expenses by clicking on the 'Time & Expenses' tab, then the 'Expense' sub-tab.
NOTE: The date will default to today's date, but you can edit it to whatever date you need.
- Remember to type in the applicable date associated with your expenses. Click the 'Expense' drop down menu to select the applicable project or overhead category.
In this example, we are going to log an expense for mileage and copies. Enter in all of the information, and be sure to click 'Save' before leaving the page. When you are ready to submit your expenses for reimbursement and apply them to projects, click the green 'Submit' button. The expenses in your list will be added to a bill in accounts payable for approval and payment and will no longer be editable from this page unless they are returned to you from the bill SQUAVA will create.
NOTE: When you are first creating your budget for the project, you will need to add any applicable expense categories which will allow you to choose them from the 'Expense' drop down menu on this page when you select the applicable project.
Again, If you need to enter expenses related to a sub-consultants or other company-related items like rent, software, or office supplies, check out our Help Articles for entering bills - Accounts Payable or adding bank or credit card transactions - Bank and Credit Card Registers.
- These steps will show another way to log an expense, which will be a great shortcut for you. To log an expense with this shortcut option, you will first need to click on the 'Time & Expense' tab and then this time, the 'Timesheets' sub-tab. Make sure you are on the correct week for logging your expense item.
- This shortcut will allow you to log an expense at the same time you are logging your hours. When you do this, it'll already know which date and project the expense item is associated with since you're already logging time for that particular date and project.
To do this, simply click the dots on the left of time entry box and select +Add Expense.
- When you click on the '$' icon, a new window will appear for you to log your expense information. As you can see, it already has the date and project pre-filled for you. Enter in the required information, and click 'Save' when finished.
NOTE: Remember, when you are first creating your budget for the project, you will need to add any applicable expense categories which will allow you to choose them from the 'Expense' drop down menu on this page when you select the applicable project.
- This expense will now show up in your list of expenses on the expenses tab where you first learned how to enter expenses above. Expenses must be submitted from your expense page in order to show up on project budgets and draft invoices. Please refer to the previous section (here) for instructions on how to submit expenses or enter other types of expenses.
- Next you will need to learn how to approve and pay the bill that was created when the expenses were submitted. Check out the Help Article for processing bills - Accounts Payable.
Please sign in to leave a comment.