Quick Summary of Step-by-Step Guide:
There are 2 ways for entering your expenses. The steps are outlined below for both available options. If you are needing to log expenses related to a Subconsultant, check out our Help Article: Subconsultant Expenses & Invoices.
Option # 1:
- Click the 'Time & Expense' tab→ 'Expense' sub-tab
- Select the applicable project for applicable date
- Log expenses
- Save expenses
- Submit expenses
Option # 2:
- Click the 'Time & Expenses' tab→ 'Timesheets' sub-tab
- Click the '$' icon when logging time for the applicable project and date
- Fill in the required expense information
- Save when finished
In-Depth Step-By-Step Guide:
Option # 1:
- Begin entering your expenses by clicking on the 'Time & Expenses' tab, then the 'Expense' sub-tab.
NOTE: The date will default to today's date, but you can edit it to whatever date you need.
- Remember to type in the applicable date associated with your expenses. Click the 'Expense' drop down menu to select the applicable project or overhead category.
In this example, we are going to log an expense for mileage and copies. Enter in all of the information, and be sure to click 'Save'. When you are finished, click the green 'Submit' button so your expenses can be reviewed and approved.
NOTE: When you are first creating your budget for the project, you will need to outline any applicable expenses which will then allow you to choose them from the 'Expense' drop down menu when you select the applicable project.
If you are needing to enter an expense related to a Subconsultant, the process will be a little bit different. Check out our Help Article: Subconsultant Expenses & Invoices.
- These steps will show another way to log an expense, which will be a great shortcut for you. To log an expense with this shortcut option, you will first need to click on the 'Time & Expense' tab and then this time, the 'Timesheets' sub-tab. Make sure you are on the correct week for logging your expense item.
- This shortcut will allow you to log an expense at the same time you are logging your hours. When you do this, it'll already know which date and project the expense item is associated with since you're already logging time for that particular date and project.
To do this, simply begin logging your time on the applicable date(s). There's a '$' icon that will appear next to the box where you are entering your time (see image below). Click the '$' icon to begin entering the expense information.
- When you click on the '$' icon, a new window will appear for you to log your expense information. As you can see, it already has the date and project pre-filled for you. Enter in the required information, and click 'Save' when finished.
NOTE: Remember when you first are creating your budget for the project, you will outline any applicable expenses which will then allow you to choose them from the 'Expense' drop down menu.
- Your expense will now show up on your list of expenses that you learned how to do in the beginning of this Help Article! You can enter expenses one way or the other or a combination of both, it's up to you and whatever is easiest for you and your team.
- Next you will need to learn how to approve your expenses so that they can go towards your invoice for the customer.
- Check out the Help Article: Approving Expense Items.